Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Early Years

I know, it's starting out like a wikipedia title. There is hope for knowledge in here!

Drug of choice as a child
After my fiasco as a baby with rice pudding, apple juice, and milk, my first memories with food included sourdough bread and corn pudding made by my grandma. And brunswick stew, yum! I have the recipe for the corn pudding as well as the starter for the bread, but it never tastes the same because I prefer when people put some of their love into my meals.

We used to eat at this restaurant in Henderson, NC called the Cardinal Restaurant on Sundays and they had amazing soup and pecan pie. I always hated getting up to go to church in my uncomfortable patent leather shoes, there was too much playing that needed to be accomplished. But there was a good meal at the end of it...so I suffered through the amens and awkward singing of hymns from smelly books for the hopes of something awesome to cleanse my palette later. (Side note on this blurb: you self-proclaimed 'morning people', you were born that way, but please cherish my divergence from this lifelong path of sunrises and I will show you the way with beautiful sunsets. I will prevail!)
False.

There were bad food days, too. Grits and turnip greens. These were invented to make children question what they did wrong and why they deserve this plate of questionable items. I still refuse to eat such items. But maybe if appropriately hidden in a sushi roll, I may consider it as a new alternative form.

My motivation for this blog stems from the realization (thanks to my good friend Jamie) that so many of my memories throughout my life were associated with food.  I remember so many places were I have eaten, and in so many states/countries that I wanted to share the things that surrounded these events. However, chronological order is not my cup of java so I'm going to go in my own order. It's my blog, I can. Later, readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment